When it comes to oral health, cavities are one of the most common issues with such, as there are so many daily factors that can contribute to tooth decay. On the other hand, cavities are also quite easy to avoid with proper oral care and regular visits to the dentists. Regardless, cavities are extremely common, and though common, they can lead to more serious issues if not addressed in a timely manner. In short, preventing tooth decay can be simple with the right oral hygiene regimen.
Within maintaining proper oral health and preventing tooth decay, you'll also need to visit Dr. Jason Downey in Las Vegas regularly for checkups and professional teeth cleanings. Combining this with strong oral hygiene efforts, you can keep your teeth clean, healthy, and free of decay, and Dr. Downey and his helpful team can provide you with the necessary information to achieve such. Let's jump right in.
What Causes Tooth Decay?
While most of us know the many causes of tooth decay, you may be surprised to learn how many factors can actually harm our teeth. As possibly the most prevalent oral issue, tooth decay can affect anyone at least once, and plenty of us have already experienced it. With this, we've provided the most common causes of tooth decay below:
- Poor Oral Hygiene: One of the most common causes of tooth decay is neglecting oral hygiene. Everyone should brush twice a day for two minutes, in addition to flossing once a day. Sugars, bacteria, and acids all need to be removed from the teeth, as these all work to cause cavities.
- Poor Diet: Foods high in sugar and acids, such as junk food and citrus fruits can be quite harmful, these will wear down your enamel, which is the protective layer of your teeth.
- Acidic Foods and Beverages: As mentioned above, acidic foods and beverages, like soda, coffee, sports drinks, and citrus fruits & juices all harm your tooth enamel. Of course, the sugars, acids, and bacteria in your mouth can also lead to plaque buildup and even tartar.
Preventing Tooth Decay: Key Tips & Practices
While many factors contribute to tooth decay, there are plenty of things you can do in preventing tooth decay. By practicing proper oral hygiene and visiting your dentist regularly, you can do a pretty good job of avoiding decay, but there's always more you could be doing. See the list below for help in preventing tooth decay:
- Brush your teeth at least twice day, especially after meals and before going to bed at night.
- Floss at least once a day, as your toothbrush won't reach the areas between your teeth.
- Rinsing with fluoride or using a fluoride toothpaste is also great practice to eliminate bacteria.
- Refrain from eating sugary and acidic foods, as mentioned above. Candy and chips should be avoided or at least eaten in moderation.
- Keep your mouth hydrated, as saliva production helps maintain tooth enamel.
- Visit your dentist every six months for dental cleanings and checkups.
Prevent Tooth Decay with Dr. Jason L. Downey!
Clearly, anyone can be prone to tooth decay. However, with proper oral health care and regular trips to the dentist, you can easily do your part in avoiding the common issue. If you have noticed any problems, such as a toothache, be sure to contact our office! You can also give us a call at 702-871-4903 to schedule an appointment. We're happy to help our Las Vegas and Summerlin residents!